BLACK BUSINESSES --
KEEP RESOURCES IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD!
All persons of color should make a special effort to support Black Businesses year 'round. Merchants all over the United States, consistently say that Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is the single busiest retail shopping day of the year. There is no way that this should be the busiest shopping day of the year and not support our own businesses.
The Information Man™, Bro. Mosi Hoj, gets many inquiries from persons who are looking for Black businesses in their local metropolitan areas. To assist in this effort, and to provide a general listing where Black Folks can find African American and Cultural businesses, we will be maintaining a list of Black Retailers nationwide. If you know of Black Retailers in your local area and would like to see them listed, send the name, address, and telephone numbers for the business to us. Please feel free to use this listing year-round and especially on BLACK FRIDAY.
- Airmen Records - a black owned record label primarily featuring Jazz music. It was founded and is run by pianist Lafayette Harris, Jr. and is located in Brooklyn, NY. The website for this business is http://www.jazzcorner.com/airmenrecords. CDs are available in stores or on the website.
- Rockwell Edutainment - creates custom software that teaches young people and adults alike about entrepreneurship and computer literacy, in a way that is both entertaining and informative. Best of all, the user using the software doesn't have to own a computer (at home) to be able to use it because the software is web-based. Meaning that anyone with access to a computer with a internet connection, no matter if its at school or at a public library, can use this software. The software is great for churches, community groups, and local businesses who want to (inexpensively) start their own computer literacy training program. The applications in the software include a web design tutorial, typing tutorial, and a basic computer skills tutorial to help the beginner successfully master the World Wide Web. In addition, there are games, music, and other fun activities to keep the user entertained as well as educated on how to use technology in the 21st century.. A downloadable demo will be available around mid-December for folks to check out for themselves. The business location is: Rockwell Edutainment, 422 Blake Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11212. 718-342-0103 Email: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org
- PartyLite - independent consultant - Sell and demonstrate the burning and use of very fragrant candles, aroma-therapy and all the candle burning and decorating accessories you can imagine. The business not only provides products it can provide income opportunities for ANYONE interested in owning their own business, No boss, no previous experience or credentials required. The income is what you make it. For more information, contact Wanda McAdoo via e-mail at email@example.com or via phone at (925) 706-8776 or via snail mail at Post Office Box 2625, Antioch, CA 94531-2625.
- Aularale Skin Care and Cosmetics - Aularale is a direct sales company that has been in business for over 14 years and is home based in Atlanta, GA. We specialize in skin care and cosmetics for men and women of color. The product line is aloe vera-based and fragrance and oil free. We have over 150 products and all the products are hypoallergenic for sensitive skin. An Aularale Gift Store (the store is seasonal and will be opened until December 31, during Valentine's Day and Mother's Day) is located within the food court in Prince George's Plaza Mall at 3500 East-West Highway in Hyattsville, MD. The Store specializes in gift baskets featuring our luxurious bath gels, body buffing cream, silk and velvet hand and body lotion (for women and men), bath salts, foot cream or fragrances. The gift packages can be made to order with prices as low as $10. Our phone number is 301-559-2899. Ethel Choice is the area regional manager and also managing The Aularale Gift Store. We also have exceptional career opportunities for all who are looking to improve their financial growth.
- Sea Communications Group - Primestar and Dish Network Dish Sales and Service, Paging for Local and Nationwide Paging Service, and Wireless Phone Services in all major cities. For more information, in Washington, DC call 202-583-6060, in Maryland call 301-930-4437 and in New York City call 212-501-6266.
- Travels By Denise - Full Service Travel Agent (home Based Business). Check out the web site at http://www.travelsbydenise.com. For information call 1.800.313.4449 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org (email Must be entitled "Travel").
- Dollar Discount - Black-owned "dollar store" with all your little needs satisfied. Located at 2849 Alabama Avenue, S.E., Washington, DC 20020, (202)581-1550.
- Sibanye, Inc. - Baltimore's premiere Afrocentric lifestyle boutique, featuring art, books, cards, clothing and accessories for men and women, gifts, home accents, skin care and beauty products and more. We regularly host book signings, art exhibitions, fashion shows and other cultural events. Join us the day after Thanksgiving for a "Truly Black Friday" (tm). We'll have sales, refreshments and entertainment from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. Let's make sure our dollars stay in our community a little longer. 4031 W. Rogers Avenue (at Reisterstown Road), Baltimore, MD 21215. 410-358-5806 - Tues - Sat, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m., Wed 11 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- ALKEBULAN INCORPORATED - a not-for-profit African American Health and Wellness Center. Please see our website for additional information about us at http://www.alkebulan.org. In addition, we have created the Alkebulan's Ujamaa Marketplace which is another Alkebulan Community Investment Project where Africentric apparel, artifacts, books, identity games, jewelry, greeting cards, incense, oils and much more are sold. We have two locations in the Columbus, Ohio area! ALKEBULAN, INC., 35 E. 5th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43201, telephone 614-299-4488 and ALKEBULAN'S UJAMAA MARKETPLACE, 1511 E. Livingston Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43205, telephone 614-258-4633 Fax 614-252-2082.
- Turning Heads - A Women's Specialty Shop, operated by Marie Renfro at 3342 Lakeshore Avenue, Oakland, CA (510) 444-2332.
- Beads Designs - Womens Accessories, operated by Thomas Washington on Shattuck Avenue, Oakland, CA.
- Francine's Fashions 4 Children - Childrens' Fashions store, operated by FranCine Gadsden, Designer in Oakland, CA By Appt - (510) 534-2537.
- Indigo Shack - African Arts/Baskets/Bath/Incense/Oils, operated by Shawna Holbrook on Martin Luther King Jr Way, Oakland, CA.
- D's Design Concepts - Unique Fashions in Mud Cloth Designs in Oakland, CA, By Appointment 510-339-804.
- Mahogany's Specialty Gifts, 2518 Madden Hills Drive, Dayton, Ohio 45408 Business Phone #: 937-268-5930 Web site is located at: http://members.aol.com/mahoganyw/aaahom.html.
- TG's Video Production - Specializing in Event Videography - Waipahu, Hawaii (20 minutes from Honolulu). 808-671-9794 (voice) 808-279-0412 (pager) Owners: Andwele & Carolyn Gardner. Services include greeting travelers at the Honolulu International Airport and capturing their visit to Paradise on videotape. Fully edited, personalized video using state of the art equipment. 100% Black owned. Harambee!!! Public Access Television. The only African American TV series in Hawaii!
- Michael C. Thomas Signature Shop - A full service custom tailoring and alteration shop, specializing in custom clothing (suits, shirts, pants, vests), suit reconstruction (updates, recuts) and "Pocket Expressions" (prefolded men's pocket handkerchiefs in over thirty colors and eight styles). Shop is located in Memphis, TN at 1155 Union Avenue. We can be reached at (901) 726-6080, and our fax number is (901) 726-6082.
- Cultural Expressions Fine Arts Gallery - Fine African American works of art. (Sculptures, Masks, Prints, Framed Art, Jewelry and other collectibles of an afrocentric nature. Located at 1050 Concord Road, Smyrna, Georgia 30080 770-432-3115. For additional information email Terrance McNeil.
- PDN Publishing and Health Products, Inc. - Health and Fitness consultation. Produces exercise video that will be ready for the holidays. It can be ordered in advance for $21.99. Address is 1491 Ala Mahamoe St. Honolulu, HI 96819. For additional information email Donald Thomas .
- Tomco.net - A black-owned Internet Service Provider located in Temple Hills, Maryland. Unlimited Internet access and e-mail for residents of the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Anyone who can dial into the 202 area code without paying a toll call would be the beneficiaries of Tomco.net's service. Call 301-423-7397 for additional information. Web site is located at: http://www.tomco.net.
- Comprehensive Benefits Service - Northern Virginia-based black-owned business that provides financial planning and life insurance. Contact Mr. Lee Bethel at 703-813-5551 for additional information.
- Full Circle Martial Arts Academy - A true Kung-Fu school owned by two outstanding martial artists. This school also provides Tai-Chi and a unique form of Akido. Each head instructor has over 22 years of teaching and nationwide competing. Located at 1280-A Ritchie Road, Capitol Height, MD 20743. Call 301-808-3578 for additional information.
- S. Goode & Williams Company - Northern Virginia company that makes beautiful, professional business cards, programs (weddings & funerals), announcements, and personal trading cards. Have mastered a new technology that allows them to create unique paper products. Call 888-330-3852 / 703-330-3852 for more information.
- Celestial Creations - Produces invitations (wedding, birthday, or shower) , programs (for wedding, church services, funerals, etc.), bookmarks, cards (Christmas, birthday, get well, special, etc.), calendars, books of quotes, name poems, relationship poems (sister, mom, daughter, father, brother, etc.). We can personalize! Located at 1919-I McAllister Dr., Charlotte NC 28216. Call 704-391-9231 for additional information.
- Elite Beauty Supplies- Black-owned beauty supply store. Located at 1631 E. 17th Street, Suite F, Santa Ana, CA 92705. Call 714-972-2190 / fax 714-972-9907 or e-mail us. Web site is located at http://www.elitebeauty.com.
- Global Wellness - Wholesale Nikken Independent Distributor. 2 Via Topacio, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688. For additional information email us.
- Jerry Green Real Estate - Located at 321 South State College Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92806. Email us for more information.
- Shakoor Designs - Specializing in custom designed and printed fabrics for fashion and home furnishings. Located at 6804 South Merrill, Suite # 2, Chicago, IL. 60649. Proprietor is Erci Shakoor. Call 773-363-4348.
- Cultural Collections - African American Literature, Greeting Cards, Fine Art & Custom Picture Framing Services. Located at 754 Crescent Street , Brockton, MA 02302 (East Crossing Plaza - Rt. 27, only 25 miles south of Boston). Store Hours: M-W 10-7pm, Th-Fri 10-8pm, Sat 10-6pm, Sun. 12-5pm Phone: (508) 580-1055 or toll-free 1-877-580-1055. Email us.
- Sands of the Nile - Large variety of eastern fragrance oils in elegant glass roll on bottles and atomizers. Also sells sterling silver and 10kt/14kt gold jewelry. Please call 210-271-1386/325-7504 for more information. Mailing address is PO Box 18762, San Antonio Texas 78217. Proprietor is Derrick Wyatt.
- Francois Unlimited Corp. - Specializing in Sportswear for the entire family (Girbaud, Tommy Hilfiger, FUBU, Polo, Nike, Guess). Snake Skin Belts,Hair Accessories, Purses, Gift Items, Flowers. If we don't have it we can get it, just ask. Located at 610 South Main Street, St. Martinville La. 70582. Call 318-394-1663. Store hours are Monday-Saturday 9 AM - 6 PM.
- Thunder and Lightning, Ltd. - Black-owned, professional sound and lighting company. Have been on the road with major acts and have worked major venues in the Washington, D.C. area. Have also provided the sound and/or lighting for businesses, churches, conventions, theaters, festivals, and auditoriums. The point-of-contact (POC) is Mr. Barry Washington. Call 301-599-9142 or 301-499-3679 in the Washington, DC area.
- Yawa Books & Gifts - Afrocentric book store with a very wide variety of books and a diverse list of categories. Located on 18th Street in Adams Morgan in Washington, DC. Call 202-483-6805 for additional information.
- George O. Jackson and Company - Family owned tax consultation and tax preparation business. Located in Washington, DC. Call 202-526-8113 for additional information.
- Chantel's Cake & Pastries - Specializing in Wedding cakes in the Washington, DC area. Located in Northern Virginia. Call 703-450-1543 for additional information. Proprietor is Dennis Stanley, Sr.
- Gallery Africa - 3 locations here in the Washington, DC. area (Beltway Plaza, Prince George's Plaza, & Forest Village Park Mall). African art, statues clothes, instruments, & jewelry. 301-345-2322 / 301-559-3785 / 301-736-8107.
- Michelle's Specialties - Disc Jockey services in the Washington DC area. Previous experience as a radio DJ. Call 301-386-3258 for additional information.
- Martha's Crib - Arts and Crafts, books by Black authors, African American music. Located 25 miles south of downtown Chicago at 128 Lincoln Mall, Matteson, IL. Call (708)747-8173.
- Stoxstell's Furniture - Black-owned furniture store on Chicago's southside. Located at 748 W. 103rd Street, Chicago, IL 60628. Proprietor is Willie Stoxstell.
- Precious Treasures - Specializing in African American Books, Figurines, & related products. Located at 1675-O Crystal Squares Arcade, Crystal Underground - The Alley Shops, Crystal City, VA 22202-3321. Call 703-418-2726.
- Herbs Plus - A reliable source of information and inspiration on natural health. Provides herbs, vitamins, weight management and other wellness products. Located at 8976 Foothill Boulevard, #326, Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730. Call (909) 352-6633 or toll free (888) 352-9552.
- Innervision Office Supply - Office and Art Supplies in the heart of Capitol Hill. Located at 701 8th Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003. Call (202)544-4664. Hours are Mon - Fri (9-5pm), Sat (10-3pm).
- Abstract Inc. - Office and Art Supplies. Located nearBrookland/CUA at 3309 12th Street NE, Washington, DC 20017. Call (202)526-8860 / (202)529-6791 fax. Hours are Mon-Fri (9:30-5:30pm); Sat (10-3pm). Email us.
- Financial Services Clinic - Located at 1809 W. Main Street, Richmond, VA 23220. Contact Norman M. Lee at (804) 359-2334.
- Jammin' For Jesus Bookstore - African American Christian book store. Located on Arlington Road, Hopewell, VA 23860. Call (804) 458-5500.
- Thembi's Therapeutic Techniques - Offering a variety of skin care and therapeutic body services, by licensed Esthetician/Masseuse in the greater Los Angeles area. Call 323-295-0332 - 323-291-7033 - Fax or Email us.
- Kulture Korner - Black art & gifts, Greek items and books, custom framing. Located in Jackson, MS in the Metro Center Mall near Upper Level of Dillard's Department Store. Call Maurice Hurst at 601-969-3900 for additional information.
- Comfort Zone - Massage and health items... hot for Christmas gifts. Located in Jackson, MS in the Northpark Mall. Call Tony Talison, at 601-956-1468 for additional information.
- Keynote Communications - Pagers, accessories, car, audio, and rims for all types of vehicles. Located on the corner of Bellevue and Lamar Avenue in Memphis, Tennessee. Call Edward Sample at 901-726-5528 for additional information.
- Marrow of Tradition Books and Fine Arts Gallery, Inc., 1703 Market Street, Akron, Ohio 44313. Call 330-864-8084; fax: 330-836-2525.
- Northcoast Afrocentric Counseling Services, 2490 Lee Boulevard, Suite 102, Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44118. Call Paula Mickens English, Ph.D. at 216-371-1991.
Copyright 1998-2003 by Bro. Mosi Hoj and Information Man, Inc.
Last Updated February 2, 2003